Sunday, February 11, 2018

ROS Addition: Piece de Resistance

I learned that ROS_INFO and ROS_DEBUG route to a ROS message topic called /rosout.  Knowing that would have saved me so much time!!!!!  Way back at the beginning, when I was trying to make an overlay of the AMCL package, I put a lot of debug statements in the AMCL code and could never figure out where they were being printed.  I later discovered the "rqt" tool, but /rosout is much easier!

The greatest part is that I can log messages to ROS_INFO and record them into my bag file by adding the /rosout topic to the list that my bag file is recording with each data run.  The list of topics being recorded is pretty long now!

This allows me to log the exact time that the robot has been kidnapped, as well as the to and from locations that the robot is being moved to.  Now I have EVERYTHING I need in the bag file - no more need for a separate .txt file to record the kidnap event, like I used to have.

I'm really happy with my apparatus for creating trial data - bag data for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment